Dr. Omer Al-Derwish
Designation: Consultant Urologist Department
Languages: Arabic, English
Adept in all core urological procedures, like:
- Endoscopic procedures of the urinary tract
- Upper urinary tract laparoscopy (Keyhole surgery of kidney and ureter)
- Transurethral resection of prostate and bladder tumour
- Rigid and flexible ureteroscopy and laser stone fragmentation
- Transurethral green light laser vaporization of prostate
- Percutaneous nephrolithotomy for kidney stones
- Nesbit procedure for penile curvature
- Open and laparoscopic simple, radical and partial nephrectomy
- Open and laparoscopic pyeloplasty
- Open radical cystectomy and prostatectomy
- Ileal conduit urinary diversion
- Pelvic lymph node dissection
- Transobturator tape insertion and urethral bulking injection for female urinary incontinence.
- Penlie & Scrotal Surgery in Pediatrics
Dr. Omer Al-Derwish is a renowned and globally trained consultant Urological Surgeon. He has trained across the globe in locations like Germany, London, Glasglow, Milan, Barcelona, UAE, Eastbourne, to name a few and has an experience of more than 20 years.
He is an expert in all aspects of general and subspeciality urology including urinary tract stones, urological cancers, bladder dysfunction and urodynamics including those related to spinal injuries, female urology, prostatic diseases, sexual dysfunction and andrology. He can also manage all urological emergencies such as urinary tract obstruction and injuries. His special interest areas include urological technologies and imaging.
Additionally, he has gained experience in service improvement, by establishing an out-patient service for diagnostic flexible cystoscopy and removal of ureteric stent in his previous assignment. He had also introduced new technologies to the department such as Green light laser, Urolift, Bulkamid, and Plastibell circumcision.
Dr. Al-Derwish has a wide teaching experience all over UAE. Further, he plays an active role in patient health education & preventative medicine.
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow, FRCS (Urol), 2009
- University of Glasgow, MD, 2008
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow, FRCS, 1999
- University of Tripoli, Libya, MBBCh, 1994
- Certificate of Completion of training in Urology, GMC, UK 2012
Research & Publications
- A part-time research at the Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Glasgow on a project leading to an MD. The project title was: Viral HSV1-TK transgene, radiolabeled FIAU and Ganciclovir: combined gene targeted radiotherapy and suicide gene therapy for prostate cancer.
- Al-Derwish, O., Boyd, M., Owens, J., Kirk, D., & Mairs R.J. (2006). Viral HSV1-thymidine kinase transgene, radiolabeled FIAU and ganciclovir: combined gene-targeted radiotherapy and suicidal gene therapy. BJU International, 94, 1170. (Abstract).
- Fullerton, N.E, Boyd, M., Mairs, R.J., Keith, W.N., Alderwish, O., Brown, M.M., Livingstone, A. & Kirk, D. (2004). Combining a targeted radiotherapy and gene therapy approach for adenocarcinoma of prostate. Prostate Cancer and Prostatic Diseases, 7, 355-363.
- Al-Derwish, O., Mokete, M. Kuppurajan, N. & Matanhelia, S.S. (2003). Spontaneous regression of pulmonary metastases from renal cell carcinoma detected by computed tomography. BJU International, 91, 428.
Nationality: Libya & UK
Number of Years of Experience: 20 years