A cardiac catheterization lab is also referred to as a Cath Lab. It is a special room in a hospital where doctors carry out minimally-invasive procedures to diagnose and treat heart disease by using hi-tech diagnostic imaging. They use advanced equipment to see if there are any blockages or abnormalities in the arteries and the chambers of the heart.
The procedure involves the use of small, flexible tubes, known as catheters, to visualize the heart and blood vessels. Cardiac catheterization examines how well your heart is working and treats any stenosis or abnormality found.
- Cardiac cath is carried out to discover if a patient has a problem with his or her heart muscles, valves, or heart arteries
- During the test, the equipment measures the blood flow and pressure in the heart
- Coronary angiography is performed during heart catheterization. A contrast dye that can be seen in X-rays is inserted through the catheter. X-ray images view the dye as it flows through the heart arteries, showing any blockage in them
- There’s a low chance that issues will develop during cardiac cath
- Tests such as angiogram, ablation, angioplasty and implantation of pacemakers are performed in a Cath Lab
- A Cath Lab has a team of various specialists, usually led by a cardiologist
- A Cath Lab is not the same as an operating th atre, where surgeries such as a heart bypass procedure, under general anesthesia are performed
Life-threatening conditions like a heart attack are treated here by an interventional cardiologist.
Other than examining the heart condition, a Cath Lab also provides services to electrophysiologists, neurologists, vascular surgeons, and interventional radiologists to perform procedures of a complex nature for a wide range of conditions – from a stroke to ruptured or bleeding blood vessels inside the body.
Procedures Carried Out at FUH Cath Lab
- Coronary angiography
- LV angiography
- Right heart catheterization
- Coronary angioplasty with ballooning
- Coronary stenting
- Pressure wire (FFR) study (Intravascular Physiology)
- Intravascular Ultrasound (IVUS)
- Temporary pacemaker insertion
- Pacemaker implantation
- Implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) implantation 12 CRT (cardiac resynchronization therapy) implantation
- Loop recorder insertion
- Insertion of Intra-aortic Balloon Pump (IABP)
At FUH, we have set up the most modern Cath Lab, equipped with advanced technology and a bi-planer imaging machine. The sophisticated equipment helps our highly skilled and experienced ‘heart team’ to deliver international standards of care with excellent outcomes.