Dr. Serife Simsek
Designation: Chief of the General and Breast Surgery
Specialty: General Surgery, Breast Department
Languages spoken: English, Italian, and Turkish
- Breast cancer early diagnosis, treatment and follow up
- Breast cancer surgery
- Nipple sparing mastectomy
- Skin sparing mastectomy
- Breast conserving surgery (lumpectomy, quadrantectomy)
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy
- Axillary dissection (axillary clearance)
- Non palpable breast lesions surgeries
- Breast diseases diagnosis, treatment and follow up
Dr. Simsek is a well-known Breast Cancer Senology Specialist (Benign and Malignant disease) who did her training and surgical residencies in Turkey and in Italy.
She is specialized in General Surgery and sub-specialized in Breast Cancer surgery.
Dr. Simsek attained a master’s degree in Breast Cancer, and Breast Cancer surgery from two famous schools, the European Institute of Oncology and Milan University, Italy.
Dr. Simsek worked in Italy as Assistant to Prof. Umberto Veronesi for three years. Prof. Umberto is a known founder of breast-conserving surgery in breast cancer treatment with the invention of the quadrantectomy, and other conservative surgical techniques, including sentinel lymph node biopsy.
Dr. Simsek became an Associate Professor at Ankara University Hospital in Turkey and was working in one of the biggest private health institute in Istanbul, Turkey for 11 years prior to moving to Dubai 7 years ago.
Dr. Simsek is amongst the most well-known female breast surgeons, for conservative surgery , modified radical mastectomies, nipple sparing mastectomy, skin sparing mastectomy for breast cancer and sentinel lymph node biopsy, axillary clearance for breast cancer, removal of breast lumps like fibroadenoma, phyllodes tumor surgery, ROLL/SNOLL techniques (Radio-Occult Lesion Localization for non- palpable breast lesions and sentinel lymph nodes, breast lumps and breast diseases). She has excellent outcomes in her work.
Dr Simsek has continuously contributed to informing her chosen profession throughout her working life; she has worked on various breast cancer research projects including those concerned with Breast Conservation Surgery, Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy, Pregnancy and Breast cancer, Intraoperative Radiotherapy After Breast Conservative Surgery, and In situ Ductal Carcinomas Radio-Occult Lesion Localization.
She has published numerous articles in various national and international peer-reviewed Journals. Dr. Simsek is a member of the Turkish Surgical Association and various International/National Scientific/Surgical Institutions and nonprofit breast cancer organizations. She speaks Turkish, English, and Italian.
- Master Degree in Reconstructive Breast Surgery, Barcelona University, Spain, 2020
- MD, Ankara University, Turkey
- Master’s Degree in Breast Cancer, and Breast Cancer Surgery, European Institute of Oncology and Milan University, Italy
- Fellow of American College of Surgeon
- Board Certified in General Surgery
Research & Publications:
- Demirer S, Karadayi K, SIMSEK SERIFE, Erverdi N, Bumin C. Comparison of postoperative acute-phase reactants in patients who underwent laparoscopic vs open cholecystectomy: a randomized study. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 2000 Oct;10(5):249-52.
- Demirer S, Aydintug S, Ustun C, Turkmen E, Tuzun A, SIMSEK SERIFE, Basaran O, Celebi H,Demirer T. Comparison of the efficacy of medium chain triglycerides in total parenteral nutrition in patients eight hematological malignancies undergoing peripheral blood stem cell transplantation. Clinical Nutrition 2000;19(2):1-8.
- Gatti G, SIMSEK SERIFE, Zurrida S, Kurne A, Giannetti I , Demirer S, Smeets A, Caldarella P,Vento A.R, Giraldo A, Luini A. Possible role of nitric oxide in the biology of breast carcinoma: review of the available literature. The Breast 2003.
- Gatti G,SIMSEK SERIFE, Zurrida S, Kurne A, Giannetti I, Demirer S, Smeets A, Caldarella P, Vento AR, Giraldo A, Luini A. Possible role of nitric oxide in the biology of breast carcinoma: review of the available literature. Breast. 2004;13(1):1-6.
- Galimberti V, Bassani G, Monti S, SIMSEK SERIFE, Villa G, Renne G, Luini A. Clinical experience with axillary presentation breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2004;88(1):43-
- Gatti G, Viale G, SIMSEK SERIFE, Zurrida S, Intra M, Caldarella P, Luini A. Adenomyoepithelioma of the breast, presenting as a cancer. Tumori. 2004;90(3):337-9.
- Intra M, Brito JAD, Soteldo J, SIMSEK SERIFE, Veronesi U. Sentinel lymph node biopsy in intraductal carcinoma of the breast with microinvasion. Int J Cancer Res 2005;1(1):1-4.
- Gentilini O, Masullo M, Rotmensz N, Peccatori F, Mazzarol G, Smeets A, SIMSEK SERIFE, De Dosso S, Veronesi P, Intra M, Zurrida S, Viale G, Goldhirsch A, Veronesi U. Breast cancer diagnosed during pregnancy and lactation: biological features and treatment options. Eur J Surg Oncol.2005;(3):232-6.
- Veronesi U, Orecchia R, Luini A, Galimberti V, Gatti G, Intra M, Veronesi P, Leonardi MC,Ciocca M, Lazzari R, Caldarella P, SIMSEK SERIFE, Silva LS, Sances D.Full-Dose Intraoperative Radiotherapy With Electrons During Breast-Conserving Surgery: Experience With 590 Cases.Ann Surg. 2005 ;242(1):101-106.
- Akan A, Sengul N,SIMSEK SERIFE, Demirer S. The effects of splenectomy and splenic Auto transplantation on plasma lipid levels. J Invest Surg 2008;21(6):369-72.
- SIMSEK SERIFE, Canter HA. A New Concept In Treatment of Burn Injury: Controlled Release GMCSF Chitosan Gel System. Annals of Plastic Surgery. 2012.
- Akan A, Eryavuz Y, Kamali S, SIMSEK SERIFE, Hot S, Bademci R. A randomized, placebo controlled study: EMLA in minor breast surgery. Minerva Chir. 2012 Apr;67(2):181-5.
- Karanlik H, Ozgur I, SIMSEK SERIFE, Fathalizadeh A, Tukenmez M, Sahin D, Dursun M, Kurul S. Can Steroids plus Surgery Become a First-Line Treatment of Idiopathic Granulomatous Mastitis? Breast Care (Basel). 2014 Oct;9(5):338-42.
- Kamali S, Harman Kamali G, Akan A, SIMSEK SERIFE, Bender O. Use of ductoscopy as an additional diagnostic method and its applications in nipple discharge. Minerva Chir. 2014 Apr;69(2):65-73.
- Akan A, SIMSEK SERIFE. Intraoperative period and breast cancer: Review.. J Breast Health 2014 Oct 1;10(4):190-196.
Publications: Abstract (International)
- SIMSEK SERIFE , Seher Demirer, Neriman Şengül, Kürşat Karadayı, Cihan Bumin. Hydatid disease: Analysis 460 cases. World Surgical Congress- 1999, Vienna-Austria.
- Demirer S, Başaran Ö, Aydınuraz K, SIMSEK SERIFE , Aydıntuğ S: The effect of glutamine on rejection in xenograft skin transplantation. A.S.P.E.N. 24. Clinical Congress, 23-26 January 2000 USA
- Demirer S, Türkmen E, SIMSEK SERIFE , Başaran Ö, Aydıntuğ S: Nutritional Subjective Global assessment in our hospital . A.S.P.E.N. 24. Clinical Congress, 23-26 January 2000 USA
- Demirer S, Aydinuraz K, Varolgunes H, SIMSEK SERIFE ,Ensari A, Renda N,Kuterdem E, Aribal D.Effect of basic fibroblast growth factor and phenytoin on healing of abdominal wall fascia and colon anastomosis in rats. 18th Congress of the international Society of University Colon and Rectum Surgeons. 23-26 July 2000, Brazil.
- SIMSEK SERIFE, Demirer S, Sak SD, Tukel S, Cam Ragip. Diagnostic problem in nonpalpable breast lesions. Analysis 446 cases. XI.International Congress of Senology. 13-18 May 2000,Mexico.
- Aydintug S, Kocak S, SIMSEK SERIFE .Rapid growth factor of lymph node metastasis under stimulation of high levels of TSH, in young with papillary carcinoma. 19th Joint of the British Endocrine Societies, with the European Federation of Endocrine societies. 13-16 March 2000, England.
- Demirer S, Basaran O, SIMSEK SERIFE ,Ozgen F, Aydintug S. Total parenteral nutrition in patients with hematological malignancies who underwent hematopoietic peripheral blood system cell transplantation: A randomized trial. 21th Congress of ESPEN,5-8 September, 1999 France.
- Karadayi K, SIMSEK SERIFE ,Kocak S, Aydintug S, Baskan S. Diabetic foot treatment and cost effectivity. 10th Eurosurgery 2000,24 June 2000,Istanbul-Turkey.
- Akan A, SIMSEK SERIFE, Gunay S, Yalcın O, Acıkgoz S. Is the Gail model for breast cancer risk assessment valid for the Turkish women? 29-31 OCTOBER 2015 7th UAE Cancer Congress
Number of Years of Experience: 20 years