General, Laparoscopic, Colorectal and weight loss/metabolic Surgery
Prof. Dr. Majid Bassuni
Designation: Consultant Surgeon and Head of Division of Surgical Services
Specialty: General, Laparoscopic, Colorectal and weight loss/metabolic Surgery
Languages: English and Arabic
- General Surgery: All types of hernias, benign skin, and fatty tissues masses. Correction of abdominal wall hernias and abdominoplasty (tummy tuck)
- Emergency surgery: Acute appendicitis, cholecystitis, and peritonitis
- Keyhole surgery for gallbladder, spleen, and all abdominal conditions
- Benign colorectal and gut conditions: Constipation, Prolapse, Diverticular Disease, Crohn’s disease, Ulcerative colitis, and bleeding from the gut
- Keyhole surgery for hiatus hernia and reflux diseases
- Keyhole and minimally invasive surgery for cancer of the colon, rectum, and stomach
- Pain-free and minimally invasive surgery for disease of the lower gut: hemorrhoids, complex fistulas, fissures, and pilonidal sinus
- Thyroid surgery
- Benign breast diseases like chronic pain, lumps, and deformity
- Cancer breast
- Weight loss surgery: Laparoscopic (keyhole) sleeve gastrectomy, gastric bypass
- Management of pelvic organ prolapse: Uterus, bladder and bowel
- Dr. Bassuni is a British – Egyptian Consultant General, Laparoscopic (Keyhole), Colorectal and Bariatric surgeon. He arrived in Dubai after 20 years of working as an established Consultant Surgeon in the UK. He worked for the NHS (National Health Service – UK) and as a Senior Lecturer in Surgery (Equivalent to Associate Professor) in Sheffield University, UK.
- He was the lead clinician (Head of Department) for Colorectal Cancer in a large Teaching Hospital and the Vice – Chair/Chair of Colorectal Cancer Network in North Trent Region from 2000 to 2011. Dr. Bassuni attained his initial surgical training in Egypt and then further specialized training in the UK, mainly at the University of Wales, and other highly specialized centers in England, e.g. St Mark’ s Hospital, Birmingham Heartland Teaching Hospital and Europe (University of Strasbourg and Perugia University, Italy). His training focused on Colorectal, Bariatric, Emergency and Laparoscopic Surgery.
- Dr. Bassuni’s experience in the Middle East spans over three decades of mentorship/tuition and leadership roles at various institutes in Egypt, Kuwait, and the UAE. He is awarded a Visiting Professor Position at Mansoura University in Egypt as a recognition of his role in medical education, surgical training, and leadership. He continues to hold this prestigious position.
- His management roles are demonstrated in his leading positions at clinical multidisciplinary teams, clinical governance department and Information Technology department in a large teaching hospital in the UK. He also led a team in a private hospital in the UAE to attain the highly acclaimed JCI accreditation as a Chief Medical Officer.
- MBBCh (Hon); MS (surgery, Hon); FRCSI; FRCS(Gen); CCST (UK); Cert Medical Law (UK)
Research & Publications
Extensive peer-reviewed published research in the fields of:
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Colorectal cancer
- Surgical audit and quality
- Minimally invasive ano-rectal surgery
- Surgical training and education
- New techniques in colorectal surgery
- Pelvic floor disorders
- Management of endometriosis
Number of Years of Experience: 38 years