Urology and Neurourology
Dr. Francesco Cappellano
Designation: Consultant Urologist and Head of Urology Department
Specialty: Urology and Neurourology
Languages: English and Italian
- General urology
- Chronic pelvic pain
- Pelvic floor care
- Recurrent urinary tract infections
- Erectile dysfunctions
- Graduated with honors in 1986 from Naples University Federico II (Italy). He received his Italian Board of Urology (CCT) with honors in 1991 from the same University.
- Resident in Urology and Neurourology at UCSF San Francisco (USA) and Maastricht University (NL). Resident in Laparoscopy at Policlinique du Park Rambot, Aix en Provence (FRA).
Fellow of European Board of Urology since 1998 and Adjunct Professor of Urology at Verona University (Italy). Former Head of Department of Urology and Neurourology at Harley Street Medical Center and Nation Hospital Abu Dhabi, and Director of Harley Street Pelvic Care Centre.
- In his career, he gained wide experience and skills covering all fields of open and endoscopic urological surgery.
- Diagnostic is a pivotal part of his experience covering urological US, Duplex Doppler US, and simple and invasive urodynamics procedures. During his career, he performed more than 800 permanent implants of sacral roots and pudendal nerve implantable neuro modulators. He has been one of the pioneers of Neuromodulation in Europe, performing his first implant in 1994.
- He also pioneered the posterior tibial nerve stimulation (PTNS) in 1998 for chronic pain and anorectal dysfunctions in adult, pediatric, and transitional age. He has been the Treasurer of the Italian Society of Urodynamics and served in this Society for 17 years as a member of the Board Committee.
- He developed new techniques of peripheral pharmacological neuromodulation for chronic pelvic pain utilizing neuro physiology and peripheral nerve blocks. He is the only physician in the Gulf area treating chronic pelvic pain and pudendal neuropathy with pulsed radio-frequency and nerve blocks.
- He is a worldwide recognized expert in diagnosis and therapy of urinary and fecal incontinence, pelvic floor rehabilitation, chronic pelvic pain, and erectile dysfunctions related to neurological and non-neurological diseases.
- He is a full member of ICS, MIPS, INUS, EAU, SIUD, AAU, and Corresponding Member of the American Urological Association.
- Fellow of European Board of Urology, International Member of American Urological Association
Number of Years of Experience : 29 years
Research & Publications
- Dr. Cappellano has published more than 100 peer-reviewed papers in National and International journals with 1046 citations and has written 6 book chapters on Functional Urology and Neurourology. He has won 5 prizes for the best original paper in National and International Meetings. He has also participated in the Italian Research Center to the International Study MDT 103 for FDA approval of sacral roots neuromodulation.